So we are clear on the terminology we use, “Personal Information” means contact information (i.e., your name, address, email address, and/or telephone number) and any other non-public information that is used or intended to be used to personally identify an individual, and any other non-public information that is associated with that information. “Anonymous Information” means information that is not used or intended to be used to personally identify an individual.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL TRANSPORTATION PROVIDERS WITHIN THE RIDECHARGE SERVICES ARE SEPARATE BUSINESSES FROM RIDECHARGE, AND RIDECHARGE DOES NOT CONTROL THE POLICIES OR ACTIONS OF SUCH TRANSPORTATION PROVIDERS.
The Site and Services are not directed to children and children are not eligible to use our Sites or Services. Protecting the privacy of children is very important to us. We do not collect or maintain Personal Information from people we actually know are under 13 years of age, and no part of our Site or Services is designed to attract people under 13 years of age. If we later learn that a user is under 13 years of age, we will take steps to remove that user's Personal Information from our databases and to prevent the user from utilizing the Site and the Services.
How we gather information about you
In general, the Personal Information we gather enables us to process your Bookings (for Transportation Services) and to provide the Services to you. We collect Personal Information that you submit to us voluntarily when you register with us or when you use the Services.
When you download a RideCharge mobile application, we collect your device type, your wireless carrier, and your individual device ID and we associate this with your Personal Information, though we primarily use this information to support your account and provide you with Services.
When you register with RideCharge, we may collect the following types of Personal Information from you or from our contracted service partners to whom you have provided this information:
- Profile and contact information — your name, email address and mobile phone number, a password you choose, your device ID, device type and wireless phone carrier
- Billing information — credit card information and billing address
- Preferences — your communication preferences, billing preferences, and other settings you can adjust
- Location Information -- your mobile or other location-aware device to transmit location data.
- Transaction Information – information on you and your Bookings (which may include your current location information and past locations from which you have made Bookings)
To help verify your identity, authorize your credit card or address or prevent fraud, we may require you to provide additional Personal Information like your date of birth. We may also obtain information about you from third parties such as your employer (e.g. your corporate IT or travel department), from credit bureaus and identity verification services.
When you send an email or other communication to RideCharge, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our Services. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but this may limit the features of the Site or Services you are able to use.
We may also collect the following Personal Information from or about you:
- Material You Choose to Reveal in On-line Forums, Social Networks, Blogs, Message Boards, Chat Rooms or Similar Locations. You may post Personal Information on areas of this Site that may be viewed by other users or the public, although we recommend that you do not do so. We urge you to use good judgment and not post Personal Information that you do not want other users to know. YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS OF PRIVACY OR OTHER HARM RESULTING FROM YOUR VOLUNTARY DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION.
- Refer a Friend Feature. We may offer you the ability to send friends emails about our Sites and Services. If you choose to use this feature, we will only use your friends’ email addresses on a one-time basis to send the requested email and will not store or otherwise retain this information unless that friend becomes a registered user.
When you visit the Sites or Services, we collect Anonymous Information such as your IP address and standard web log information, such as your browser type and the pages you accessed on our website, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser. We may track the pages that directed you to our Sites or Services, though we do not associate that information with your Personal Information.
We may also place small data files called "cookies" on your computer or mobile device. We send a "session cookie" to your computer or mobile device when you log in to your account. This type of cookie helps us to recognize you if you visit multiple areas on our site during the same session, so that we don't need to ask you for your password on each page. Once you log out, close your browser or application, this cookie expires and no longer has any effect. We also use longer-lasting cookies to display your e-mail address or mobile phone number on our sign-in form, so that you don't need to retype the e-mail address each time you log in to your account. You are free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, but doing so may interfere with your use of our website and Services.
How we use the Personal Information we collect
Our primary purpose in collecting Personal Information is to provide you with the Services. We may use your Personal Information to:
- Administer your account;
- Assist in the arrangement of Transportation Services from Transportation Providers (as described in more detail below);
- Provide the Services and customer support you request;
- Process transactions and send notices about your transactions;
- Resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- Market our products and services (and those of third parties) to you that we believe may be of interest to you, though we will not disclose your Personal Information in doing so. For example, we allow advertisers to choose the characteristics of users who will see their advertisements and we may use the attributes we have collected to select the appropriate audience for those advertisements. For example, if your destination is in Georgetown in Washington, D.C., we might use that fact to show you ads for restaurants around that destination (and to tell ad networks to serve those ads), but we do not tell any restaurant who you are to display the advertisement, though the restaurant may learn that you possess certain characteristics based on the fact that you received the advertisement;
- Customize, measure, and improve our services and the content and layout of our website and mobile applications; or
- Send you service update notices, and information based on your communication preferences.
We may also use your Personal Information to create Anonymous Information records by excluding information that makes the information personally identifiable to you.
Our Services are city-specific and can provide helpful information based on where you are. If you tell us where you are (i.e., by allowing your mobile device to send us your location), we may use that information to provide you with location-based information. If you want to deactivate this feature, you can disable location services on your mobile device; please contact your carrier for more information.
You can opt out of receiving certain communications from the Site such as our newsletter by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of each email or emailing us at email@example.com. Please note that even if you unsubscribe or opt-out, we may still send you order, Site and Service related communications (e.g., emails related to your Bookings or comments).
How we use the Anonymous Information we collect
How we share Personal Information with Transportation Providers
As you know, our Services are designed to connect Transportation Providers with you, a seeker of Transportation Services. To process your Bookings and payments we must share some of your Personal Information with the Transportation Provider and the driver that is providing services to you. To complete a Booking, we must provide your name, pickup location (and often destination), time of pickup, and mobile phone number to the Transportation Provider dispatching your ride – similar information that a Transportation Provider would collect from you if you called them directly. We request that Transportation Providers use this information for the purposes of the provision of the Transportation Services only, and not store this information beyond the duration of the individual Transportation Service provided. By placing a Booking, you hereby authorize us to share all Booking-related information with any Transportation Providers designated by you to provide you Transportation Services. This information does not include billing information unless we have your authorization to make such disclosure.
NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, WE ONLY DISCLOSE CREDIT CARD NUMBERS AND ADDITIONAL BILLING INFORMATION WITH SPECIFIC CONTRACTED TRANSPORTATION PROVIDERS THAT ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PROCESSING PAYMENTS AND FOR WHOM WE HAVE YOUR AUTHORIZATION, unless we are required to do so to comply with a subpoena or other governmental or legal process. By agreeing to obtain Transportation Services from such Transportation Providers, you hereby authorize us to share all such billing information with any such Transportation Providers. In such cases, you should contact the Transportation Provider(s) directly for inquiries on how they will manage your billing information.
To process a payment for Transportation Services, RideCharge bills your credit card directly with the amount you indicate to us on your mobile device. We transmit payment to the Transportation Provider, along with the booking reference number associated with your trip.
How we share Personal Information with other parties
In addition to the ways we share Personal Information with Transportation Providers, we may share your Personal Information with other third parties in the following manners:
- Service providers under contract who help with parts of our business operations (e.g., fraud prevention, bill collection, marketing, technology services), though we require that these service providers only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit;
- Financial institutions that we partner with or you provide us information to interface with, so as to offer direct debit or other payment alternatives;
- Law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties when
- we are compelled to do so by a subpoena, court order or similar legal procedure
- we need to do so to comply with law
- we believe in good faith that the disclosure of personal information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity, or to investigate violations of our Terms and Conditions;
- Other third parties with your consent or direction to do so
How we share Anonymous Information with other parties
We reserve the right to disclose Anonymous Information publicly without restriction, including to third party vendors who may help us enhance or provide the Site or Services or to third parties.
How you can access or change your personal information
You can review your Personal Information and make any necessary changes, at any time by logging in to your account and changing your preferences in the “My Account” or "Magic Account" tab of the website. You can update your credit card information and your communication preferences within the mobile app.
You may request deletion of your Personal Information by us, but please note that we may be required (by law or otherwise) to keep this information and not delete it (or to keep this information for a certain time, in which case we will comply with your deletion request only after we have fulfilled such requirements). When we delete Personal Information, it will be deleted from the active database, but may remain in our archives and we may also retain Anonymous Information about your use of our Services. Once we disclose some of your Personal Information to third parties, we cannot access that Personal Information any longer and cannot force the deletion or modification of any such information by the parties to whom we have made those disclosures.
Information Disclosed to Third Parties
How you can contact us about privacy questions